[Mailman-Users] Re: mass delete

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Fri Jun 2 04:24:12 CEST 2000

> On 2000.06.01, in <200006020157.SAA08236 at utopia.west.sun.com>,
> 	"Dan Mick" <Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM> wrote:
> >
> > When I think "mass", I always think "script".  I shudder to
> > think about a mailing list admin that can't use a shell,
> > personally, or at least intercede with someone who can...
>
> I shudder to think of giving out 600 accounts on my list server, or of
> all 600 of them interceding with me.

Clearly, you don't want them coming to you every day, but how
often do you need to do "mass delete"?

> I'm sorry, but it's fair for a list admin not to know Unix,

It may be fair, but it's a long way from optimal.

> and it's
> not fair to require personal dealings with the site administrator.

For some number of exceptions, such personal dealings will always
be required; now we're just dickering about frequency.

If mass-delete is a common enough operation, it should be part of
the web page, ideally, I agree.  I don't think it's very common;
I think it's much more common to "remove 5 bozos", and the
web page allows that nicely.