[Mailman-Users] incorrect list-id

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.billerica.ma.us
Thu Jun 1 18:20:19 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bart-Jan Vrielink" <bartjan at vrielink.net>
To: "Christopher Kolar" <ckolar at admin.aurora.edu>
Cc: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2000 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] incorrect list-id

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Christopher Kolar wrote:
>
> > At 10:33 AM 6/1/2000, Alexandre Denes dos Santos wrote:
> > >My server has the same problem, and only with the list reminders. I
also
> > >noticed (in my case) that the list id that is assigned to all reminders
of
> > >all lists is the id of the first list (by the order that they appear in
> > >listinfo).
> >
> > I posted something to the developer's list about this last
> > month.  Apparently Mm uses the ID of the first publicly visible list on
> > your server for all of the monthly reminder messages.  The rationale for
> > this seems to be that many people getting the reminders may be on
multiple
> > lists, so the list ID used for the reminder is really just an
unimportant
> > placeholder so that there is not a lot of header creation confusion for
> > people on multiple lists.
>
> Yes, but this confuses my procmail rules and saves it to the folder
> mailman-developer instead of mailman-users. Because I'm not subscribed to
> mailman-developer, I have that folder not set up in my MUA, so I don't see
> the reminder.

I too would like to see a more accurate list ID on the reminder messages.  I
take advantage of the monthly reminder messages to help me cleanup the
subscriptions on the lower volume mailing lists.  When I get a bounce, I go
delete the user.  Fortunately, I only need to filter through three or four
lists so it's not hideous but it would be nice to know exactly where to go
to delete the given user.

---eric