[Mailman-Users] can I edit the welcome letter?

Ron Peterson rpeterson at wallacefloyd.com
Tue Jul 25 20:30:27 CEST 2000

Debi Turner wrote:

> I've been mucking around with this and we want to start our present mailing
> list on mailman because it does the archive thing.  BUT we don't want the
> mailing list to get confused about a new list, etc. (basically we want the
> transition to be invisible)

Create a new list (using 'newlist').  As the list administrator, go to
the list adminstration web pages and set the list options as you like.
Edit /etc/aliases as directed by the 'newlist' command, then run
'newaliases'.  Now your list is ready to go.

If I understand correctly, what you want to do now is move people from
an existing list to mailman, without sending them a welcome message.
That's easy.  Just go the administrative web page for managing members.
There you can subscribe people en masse, and there's a checkbox that
says something like "don't send the welcome message".  Voila!

--

Ron Peterson
Systems Manager
rpeterson at wallacefloyd.com