[Mailman-Users] broadcast-type lists

Harold Paulson haroldp at sierraweb.com
Sat Jul 22 00:44:05 CEST 2000

>The real answer is to allow private templates files per-list.
>Let me see what I can figure out.

Yes that sounds perfect.

This is way beyond the scope of what we are talking about but...

Are you familiar with phpMyAdmin?  A similar architecture seems
perfect for something like Mailman.  If not, here is a quick
overview...

phpMyAdmin is a web interface for MySQL, written in PHP.  Install it
to /www/phpMyAdmin (where /www is your web root obviously) then add
an "Alias /phpmyadmin /www/phpMyAdmin" to apache.conf.  Pretty
standard stuff.  Well the magic comes when you add a user to MySQL
who can view (and only view) the "mysql" table - where access
permissions are kept.  Then you can add similar "Alias"s to any
vhost, and when phpMyAdmin prompts for U&P, it shows them any
databases to which they have access.

Sorry, that was probably hard to follow if you don't do databases.
The upshot is that each vhost can have a /phpmyadmin Alias that lets
them see and admin their own DBs, and only their DBs, yet there is
only one set of phpMyAdmin files.  A /mailman equivalent would be
yummy, and seems doable.  Just add a config file that says what lists
belong to what vhost...or somesuch

	- H