[Mailman-Users] Looping Problem

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Wed Jul 19 17:01:30 CEST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Matthew Frost wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 03:05:26PM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> > /var/log/maillog shows a bunch of addresses bouncing, the rest
> > successfully delivered, and then mailman sends the queue request again.
> > Could it be a problem related to how many addresses are bouncing? (There
> > were 20-30)..
>
> I've seen a similar thing, that happens when the local SMTP server
> reports a temporary error (4xx code) for a subscribed email address...

Aha! I've got an address bouncing with 450 because the domain name no
longer exists for one of my addresses. I need to wait a while before I
can send another test, though.  :(   (This is a maintenence/etc announce
list for an ISP.. people get upset if I flood it with 'test' messages).

This is a pretty nasty bug, though.. is it an issue with Sendmail or with
Mailman? Anyone know of a solution besides catching the list looping and
looking through the mail logs?