[Mailman-Users] Help! Restricted posting Problems (need to approve list-member posts)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Jul 19 07:20:44 CEST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:12:35 -0500
Christopher P Lindsey <lindsey at mallorn.com> wrote:

> I submitted a bug report to the jitterbug database about a year
> about this:
>    http://www.python.org/mailman-bugs/incoming?id=110
> The biggest problem with using the Sender: header is that it
> violates RFC 822.  The URL above has the excerpts explaining why.

Your point is moot as the exact behaviour (cf secretary posing as
boss) is exactly what Mailman is attempting to prevent (it has no
way of telling the difference between a secretary and an idiot).
Further, the Subscribe/Sender: behaviour can be over-ruled by
passing the desired address on the susbcribe line (or of course via
the web).  Arguably however Mailman should handle subscribes via
From: and everything else via Sender:.  I won't lose any sleep over
that.

> In all seriousness, what setting is in mm_cfg.py to change the
> authentication?  I haven't played with the new beta versions at
> all, so sorry if I'm being stupid here....

IIRC: USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER

>> Rather than doing that however I would subscribe your posting
>> address and set it to NOMAIL.  That way authentication remains
>> strong (well, sorta, its just less easy to forge) and the system
>> works as desired.

> Interesting idea!

Very standard practice about here.  I also use this technique a lot
for people who want to post from multiple addresses and receive only
at one.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga/nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu