[Mailman-Users] Help! Restricted posting Problems (need to approve list-member posts)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Jul 19 06:45:19 CEST 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:29:23 -0400
Etienne M Gagnon <egagnon at j-meg.com> wrote:

> I do not know why Mailman adds this bogus "Sender", and seems to
> rely on it to determine membership.

The Sender field is not bogus, is a standard mail header, and is
added (likely) by the first MTA you hand off your message to.
Mailman by default authenticates membership on the basis of the
Sender: header (think about the problem of address forgery for the
reasons why).  You can edit mm_cfg.py to authenticate by the From:
header instead.

Rather than doing that however I would subscribe your posting
address and set it to NOMAIL.  That way authentication remains
strong (well, sorta, its just less easy to forge) and the system
works as desired.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga/nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu