[Mailman-Users] Error decoding authorization cookie.

Willard Dawson willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com
Mon Jul 10 17:28:00 CEST 2000

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 11:59:30PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 08:13:30AM -0400, Willard Dawson wrote:
> > 4. Attempt to use cgi-bin/admin to update new list (adding comment
> >    field)
> > 5. Experience cookie problem
>
> Have you double-checked the date setting on your server and the machine with
> the web browser?  (The cookies issued have a limited lifetime.  If your
> browser is too far in the future, the cookie would not be set.)

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion.  We keep all our Solaris servers (including
the one acting as our mail list server) synchronized using xntpd.  Also,
my client is running xntpd.  The time varies by only a second or two...

Perhaps the format of the cookie is strange?  The server is named
"bigbrother," but the website for which the mailman cgi-scripts are
enabled is called "mlist.sbs.siemens.com," using virtual hosting in
Apache.  Is there a server name component of the cookie, maybe, built on
the "bigbrother" name, when it should be built on the "mlist..." name?
Hmmm....

OK, I'll explore that in the code, and tell what I find, unless someone
has another idea.

For completeness, I tested using a PC with Netscape 4.73.  I deleted all
files, history, etc., and configured the browser to tell me about every
cookie request.  FYI, I captured the screen and attach it herein as an
MS Word document.

--
Willard Francis Otto Dawson      +1 770 814 5099 / +1 770 814 5202 FAX
Siemens Business Services, ENS   mailto:willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com
4570 River Green Pkwy, Ste 140   http://www.sbs.siemens.com/
Duluth, GA  30096-2564           Standard disclaimer applies.