[Mailman-Users] Mailman not creating HTML pages

guenter wessling hypnose at t-online.de
Mon Jan 31 11:54:23 CET 2000

Hi, all,
hi, Mark,
running Mailman on Linux, you may add one statement:

If you use COMANCHE, all changes to httpd can be made in the
httpd.conf-file, ´cause COMANCHE puts evthing into this file;
is you do *not* use COMANCHE, you have to edit the
access.conf,
srm.conf and
httpd.conf
-files for the necessary changes.
And one remark: you may add option
--with-cgi-ext=.pl
to ./configure,
- if you don´t, some strange problems occur (at least with my 2.0.36).
The problems may be due to the fact, that my own cgis in /var/httpd.....
have ext=.pl, so apatche gets confused somehow.

This, of course, leads to the http-call
http://www.your.domain/mailman/listinfo.pl/.....
- watch the *.pl*.

Actually, for Linux it´s quite good to do an *explicit* ./configure with
all available options set, i.e. don´t just do ./configure naked.
Just my personal experience (three installs of Mailman on three servers
running all right).

One question from here to the list:
running saint, my system gave pretty good results.
After installing Mailman, I get all kinds of cgi-complaints, that are
probably due to the Alias and ScriptAlias addings. Nothing really to worry
about -
but:
are there security problems arising from Mailman-install ?
If yes: which ?

Thanks,
Guenter

At 04:02 27.01.00 -0500, you wrote:

>FIXING THE PROBLEM OF MAILMAN WEBPAGES NOT SHOWING UP
>
>Okay, I was able to fix the problem, and these are
>the steps I had to take (mainly, I needed an
>alias line in http.conf and a correct one at
>that (thanks to Terry Grace).
>
>The thing is, the INSTALL files doesn't seem
>to explicitedly say what to do for those of us grunts
>going through it line by line, it just has a paragraph
>to 'see your Apache documentation' (hullo, what? me worry?)
>
>So this is what you need to explicitly do (and maybe
>this needs to be added in that section of the INSTALL
>readme file):-)
>
>Add the following line to httpd.conf:
>(run locate httpd.conf to find where httpd.conf lives)
>
>add a line in the httpd.conf file that reads:
>
>Alias /mailman/ "/usr/share/mailman/archives/public/"
>
>or
>
>Alias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/"
>
>depending if you can cd into /usr/share/mailman or
>usr/local/mailman
>*if no luck, try 'locate mailman' to find out
>where you installed it -- got to love locate.
>
>Editing httpd.conf I did a search inside of httpd.conf for the
>string "Aliases:" which turned up the appropriate spot
>in the httpd.conf to add it, but it doesn't matter, add
>it to the end if you want.
>

>But that's not enough, then you have to post a message
>to the list to get the files created... (so to speak)
>
>Of course, subscribe I subscribed myself to the mail list with
>a message to listname-request at yourdomain.com with
>SUBSCRIBE in body, then confirm yourself, then
>post with a message to listname at yourdomain.com
>
>Once you post a new message the directory structure
>is created somewhat enough to see it
>
>Then access the site with:
>
>http://yourdomain.com/mailman/
>
>(note! you have to put the trailling slash!)
>(thanks to Jim Tittsler there)
>
>and you should see some directory tree...follow
>some links...
>
>The ALias line was the trick, it tells Apache
>that if it gets a URL with yourdomain.com/mailman/
>not to lookin in home/httpd/html/mailman where it
>would normally look for, but to do the substition
>to look in /usr/share/mailman/public instead for
>that URL...  slight of hand
>
>My thoughts: perhaps the mailman software should probably add
>the alias line in http.conf upon install, and also create
>a directory structure or "return" one even if no users
>have yet subscribed to the list or posted to the list...

:)  have a nice day  - alles Gute - :)
Guenter Wessling (hypnose at t-online.de)

 - Westfalian Society of Hypnosis -
 - Westfaelische Gesellschaft fuer Hypnose -
   48165 Muenster, Germany
   fax: 0049  (0)2501  27273

http://home.t-online.de/home/hypnose