[Mailman-Users] Bounce Detection for: exim, postfix

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Jan 7 17:07:23 CET 2000

    AP> It appears that bounce detection for various MTA's (exim,
    AP> postfix) have not been implemented in mailman.  For our sake,
    AP> it is unfortunate that the MTA authors failed to arrive upon
    AP> some similar error message format.  I am *so* interested in
    AP> bounce detection for exim (today) and postfix (in a couple of
    AP> months) that I am willing to contribute to the mailman source
    AP> tree.  Although I do not currently write any python, I have a
    AP> solid grasp of perl.  I am definitely willing to learn python
    AP> for this project.

You will definitely want to look at the current CVS snapshot.  I've
implemented Postfix, Qmail's QSBMF, DSN (a.k.a. RFC 1894) and several
other, er, "unique" bounce detectors.  I've been able greatly reduce
the number of bounces coming to the admin.

There are still a few bizarre formats that I'm not yet catching, and
as the pain of dealing with them increases, I'll probably add simple
regexp catchers.  I'll agree that it's sad that many MTA authors feel
they can't adopt one of the existing standards.

-Barry