[Mailman-Users] virtual domains (a less stupid question, I hope)

William R. Dickson wrd at awenet.com
Wed Jan 5 19:19:39 CET 2000

Okay, now that I've solved a relay restriction issue and Mailman seems to
be running quite happily, I'm going to try and get it to handle virtual
domains.  I can see two approaches to this; I'd like to bounce them off
the list and see if anybody has tried them and had any success, or if
someone's doing something that works better.

First, a bit on the environment:  Mailman will be running on a dedicated
box (papaya).  Incoming mail is actually handled by another box
(oak).  Oak has the virtual use table for handling virtual domains; mail
coming in for lists will be redirected to papaya.  There's a strong
probability that people will want identical list names now and then.  So
let's figure two domains, foo.com and bar.org, and each of those domains
wants a list named "help-desk".

Method 1: one mailman installation
(Note: I don't think this one is going to work after all, because it
depends on being able to manually configure the list's complete return
address rather than just the domain.  Still, I'll present it in case
anybody's got something along similar lines working.)

name the lists after the complete list address:
  help-desk at foo.com
  help-desk at bar.org

On oak, have the following VUT entries:
  help-desk at foo.com                 help-desk-foo.com at papaya
  help-desk at bar.org                 help-desk-bar.org at papaya

On papaya, have the following aliases:
  help-desk-foo.com:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper post
help-desk at foo.com"
  help-desk-foo.com-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner
help-desk at foo.com"

Well, you get the idea.

Option 2: multiple Mailman installations

Install one copy of mailman per virtual domain in a uniquely-named
folder.  Configure virtual domains for Apache to provide access to the
various interface forms.  Set up aliases something like this:

  help-desk-foo.com:       "|/usr/local/mailman/foo.com/mail/wrapper post
help-desk"

  help-desk-bar.org:       "|/usr/local/mailman/bar.org/mail/wrapper post
help-desk"

etc...

The latter looks much more likely to me now that I look at it.  Any
comments?

Thanks,

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd at awenet.com   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523

        I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't it.

                                             -Groucho Marx