[Mailman-Users] monthly password reminders q

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Jan 4 06:50:16 CET 2000

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 14:44:08 -0800
alex wetmore <alex at phred.org> wrote:

> From: "Fred Hicks" <iago at iago.net>

>> I have a user who is asking not to receive the monthly password
>> reminders; I want to keep the list configured to send those, as a
>> default, but why isn't there an option for users to disable this
>> on a user-by-user basis, themselves?  Or _is_ this possible, and
>> I've somehow missed it?

> As a "me too" I would like to see this as well.  One of the
> recipients on my mailing list is actually a program which then
> dumps the message into a content indexed archive.  It would have
> been really nice to have had a button saying "no monthly reminder
> mail".  So far I've just filtered these emails by hand, although
> my plan is to detect them (simple enough) and throw them away.

I do the same thing, and use a procmail rule inserted before the
MHonArc invocation that simply discards the reminders.

> On a pure Unix environment it should be pretty easy to setup a
> similar system using Glimpse.  I just don't have any experience
> with Glimpse and had a lot of experience with the Windows Content
> Indexer, so I took the latter approach.  It would be pretty nifty
> have indexed archives available as a standard mailman option.

I used to use glimpse, but it has rather severe problems once you
get past 10K documents.  Recently I've become rather fond of
UdmSearch which I deployed as:

  http://www.kanga.nu/search.php3

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu