[Mailman-Users] Posting-Filter is broken in 1.1 !?

Aaron Optimizer Digulla digulla at hepe.com
Mon Jan 3 17:29:23 CET 2000

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 09:51:41AM -0500, John A. Martin wrote:

> Maybe Mailman is doing the right thing when determine the header
> sender.  Instances that I have investigated where the Netscape
> inserted "Sender" header field differed from the mail authors
> preferred mailbox address all accurately reflected the sender's setup.
>
> Where folks use a mailbox in one domain and an outgoing relay in
> another one simple fix is for there to be a CNAME RR in the mailbox
> domain pointing to the relay so that the MUA can point to the alias
> relay within the same domain an the mailbox.
>
> Do you really want to ignore header sender to pacify broken mail
> setups?

I don't mind if mail is replied to that address (but then what
is Reply-To for ?). What I mind is that Mailman uses this (broken)
field (which Netscape sets to some obscure value which no one
expects or knows how to change) and not the "From <address>"
(the envelope, I believe). The way it is, I have no way to
tell Mailman to accept these mails and not bother me.

Also, looking at the other problems, I believe that this code
in Mailman is broken in more than one way (because setting
USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER should fix the problem as should "Allow
anyone to post" and both don't work...)

Conclusion: There is a bug in Mailman and it needs to be fixed.
As for RFC compliance, we can see about this, when the bugs have
been fixed.

--
Dipl. Inf. (FH) Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla
"(to) optimize: Make a program faster by