[Mailman-Users] Footer

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Thu Feb 24 18:19:04 CET 2000

>     Seems that when a message is sent from Outlook (HTML Mail format)  the
> default footer doesn't get attached....  Is there something special that I
> need to set?

It *does* get attached; the problem is that it's outside of the MIME
subparts for the message body, so some mail clients can't see it.

I don't see this changing any time in the future -- it would be a real
pain to implement (actually, nearly impossible).  The problem is figuring
out which MIME subpart is actually the text part of the message and
appending the footer to that.

But how do you determine which subpart is the one to change?  If I send
two text/plain attachments, one as an introduction and the second as a
text version of a contract, I surely don't want the footer on the contract.

This is one reason why many lists don't allow or like MIME attachments.

(I suppose that Mailman could figure out what the boundary is for the
MIME subparts in a message, then add another whole attachment that
consisted entirely of the footer.  But that's ugly).

Chris