[Mailman-Users] setting up mailman

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Tue Feb 22 08:19:29 CET 2000

> 1) my mail server (sendmail) is  mail.domain.com   and the mail address
> are @domain.com but the mailman uses @mail.domain.com   How I can delete
> the word 'mail' from the addresses of lists/owner/admin ??

You need to define your masquerade as host.  Generally this is done
by changing the DM definition to something like

   DMexample.com

in your sendmail.cf, then restarting sendmail.

> 2) the newlist show me a text to include into the /etc/aliases.  I have
> just include it and run newaliases command,  but when I write to an
> owner-list@ I receive the following error return message:

> "|/var/spool/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner pruebas"
>     (expanded from: pruebas-admin)

> 554 "|/var/spool/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner pruebas"... unknown
> mailer
> error 2

Does syslog say anything extra, like "Failure to exec script. WANTED gid
x, GOT gid y"?  If so, you need to recompile Mailman with the

   --with-mail-gid=y

option to the configure script.

> 3) And when I reply to a subscription confirmation I receive a local
> configuration error:

That's because step #2 failed.

> 4) Is there are any hello_web_page for mailman?  Or I need to include
> links at my portal_page to admin and listinfo CGIs??

Unfortunately, no.  The closest thing that you can find is