[Mailman-Users] 'auto' mode for new subscribers?

Scott Russell scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com
Mon Feb 21 21:24:44 CET 2000

All -

Thanks to the user who noted there was an option in the Defaults.py file for this. Once I
enabled it the 'open list' option appeared on the admin pages. This is a great compromise for
steering newbie list admins to use a 'secure' list setup while at the same time providing
flexible options for admins / environments that want an open list. Maybe this should go into a
FAQ (or maybe it is but I missed it)

Here's what I found in the Mailman/Defaults.py file. To config this option copy these lines
into the Mailman/mm_cfg.py file and use the settings you prefer. (Don't make the changes
directly in the Defaults.py file as this may get overwritten by future updates.) This comes
from version 15 of the Defaults.py file which was provided with Mailman 1.2 experimental from
CVS.

# SUBSCRIBE POLICY
# 0 - open list (only when ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE is set to 1) **
# 1 - confirmation required for subscribes
# 2 - admin approval required for subscribes
# 3 - both confirmation and admin approval required
#
# ** please do not choose option 0 if you are not allowing open
# subscribes (next variable)
DEFAULT_SUBSCRIBE_POLICY = 1
# does this site allow completely unchecked subscriptions?
ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = 0

-- Scott