[Mailman-Users] DEFAULT_HOST_NAME change

berto at gsbrgo.uchicago.edu berto at gsbrgo.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 11 23:54:11 CET 2000

   Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:36:13 -0800
   From: Marc Merlin <marc_news at valinux.com>

   On ven, fév 11, 2000 at 09:19:00 -0600, berto at gsbrgo.uchicago.edu wrote:

   > We have a working Mailman 1.0 installation on a machine named
   >
   >   xyz.uppity.edu
   >
   > We want to move our installation to a machine named
   >
   >   xyzpop.uppity.edu

   > As an experiment, I wrote a simple Perl filter.  All it does is substitute
   > the string
   >
   >   xyzpop.uppity.edu
   >
   > for the string
   >
   >   xyz.uppity.edu
   >
   > in the test list's config.db file.

   You can't do that. If you binary patch, you need to replace with a string of
   the exact same length. If you don't, it renders the file unusable.

   The hostname has to  be changed through the web interface,  or with the help
   of the config_list script that is in mailman cvs (pre-1.2)
   If you rename a list, you need to use move_list, which also is in cvs

Marc:

Operating under the principle that "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It," also
time constraints that forbid us from doing everything we'd like, we remain
using Mailman 1.0.  (We'll upgrade eventually.)

Is the config_list script simple enough, and have the underlying data
structures remained unchanged, so that we could apply the config_list
script to a 1.0 installation?

Also, is the CVS repository open to public access?  How would I do a
checkout?

Bob

Robert Osterlund, Unix Systems Manager                berto at gsbrgo.uchicago.edu
Grad School of Business, U of Chicago                       phone: 773/702-8898
1101 E. 58th Street, #309, Chicago, IL 60637, USA             fax: 773/702-0233