[Mailman-Users] DEFAULT_HOST_NAME change

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Feb 11 23:36:13 CET 2000

On ven, fév 11, 2000 at 09:19:00 -0600, berto at gsbrgo.uchicago.edu wrote:

> Folks:
>
> We have a working Mailman 1.0 installation on a machine named
>
>   xyz.uppity.edu
>
> We want to move our installation to a machine named
>
>   xyzpop.uppity.edu
>
> (Actually, the system's hostname is 'xyzpop'.  'xyz' is an alias for 'xyzpop'.
> We have to set up a new machine with hostname 'xyz' that will be our new Web
> server.  By means of mx records, we will be redirecting mail traffic from
> the new 'xyz' to 'xyzpop'.)
>
> As an experiment, I wrote a simple Perl filter.  All it does is substitute
> the string
>
>   xyzpop.uppity.edu
>
> for the string
>
>   xyz.uppity.edu
>
> in the test list's config.db file.

You can't do that. If you binary patch, you need to replace with a string of
the exact same length. If you don't, it renders the file unusable.

The hostname has to  be changed through the web interface,  or with the help
of the config_list script that is in mailman cvs (pre-1.2)
If you rename a list, you need to use move_list, which also is in cvs

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information