[Mailman-Users] Deleting a message

Johnny Fuerst johnny at cathat.net
Wed Dec 20 00:01:23 CET 2000

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 05:22:20PM -0500, Ken Kyler wrote:
> I need to delete a specific message in a list.  The FAQ says:
>
> Q. I want to get rid of some messages in my archive. How do I do this?
> A. David Rocher posts the following recipe:
>   remove $prefix/archives/private/listname
>   edit $prefix/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox [optional]
>   run $prefix/bin/arch listname
>
> So - stupid question I guess - I don't see any scripts or commands called
> remove, edit or run.  Can someone be a bit more specific?

These aren't commands, per se. These are, rather, the actions that need to
be done to certain files listed.

For example:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
**Note: In these following instances, you will see '$prefix/'. When you
are applying my examples, don't actually type '$prefix/', rather type the
directory on your system where mailman resides. Comprende?

remove the file called "$prefix/archives/private/listname"
	['listname' representing the name of the list in question]
	[Use a command such as 'rm']

Next:
edit the file called "$prefix/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox"
	['listname.mbox/listname.mbox' representing actual list in question]
	[This is to remove the message you were writing about]
	[Use a text editor to do this.]

Lastly:
run the program called "$prefix/bin/arch listname"
	['listname' representing the name of the list in question]
	[To run, type '<mailman-directory-here/bin/arch listname']

Let me know if that clears things up, after going through this e-mail a
couple of times. ;)

Sincerely,
Johnny

--
On Behalf Of:
Johnny Fuerst, Governor ................ governor at cathat.net
Opinions stated in this message are mine and mine alone, and
do not necessarily represent those of my ISP/employer!
.period.
          'I Desire Compassion, and not a Sacrifice.'
                       'La Vida E Bella'

Random Quote:
If money can't buy happiness, I guess you'll just have to rent it.
johnny at cathat.net