[Mailman-Users] obscuring email addresses

kellan kellan at protest.net
Mon Dec 18 23:58:04 CET 2000

obscuring email addresses

i'm curious what is the recommended manner to obscure email addresses in
MailMan archives?

we found the 'ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS' but this seems to only apply
to the 'From:' field, and not to email addresses through out the body of
the messages.

looking through HyperArch I found the code which turns email addresses
into mailto:'s, it would seem to be relatively simple to add some code
here to do obscuring, but i was wondering if perhaps there was a more
elegant solution, one either already supported by MailMan, or at least one
that is less of a hack.

i'm surprised this feature isn't already in MailMan as several people have
detected a significant increase in spam since we made our archives
public.

thanks
kellan