[Mailman-Users] Help needed - sendmail/mailman problem

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Fri Dec 1 01:42:56 CET 2000

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 03:56:24PM -0800, Dan Mick wrote:
> >
> > So let's look at your actual problem without the noise around it:
> >
> > > Nov 30 22:57:04 jupiter sendmail[11058]: eAULv4S11058:
> > <test-admin at remco.homeip.net>... User unknown
> > > Nov 30 22:57:04 jupiter sendmail[11058]: eAULv4S11058:
> > from=<test-admin at remco.homeip.net>, size=1002, class=0, nrcpts=0,
proto=ESMTP,
> > daemon=MTA, relay=IDENT:28 at localhost [127.0.0.1]
> > >
> > > Very strange because I can send a normal mail to
<test-admin at remco.homeip.net>
> > > which is delivered.
> >
> > Which machine is jupiter?
> > Which machine is remco.homeip.net?
> > Are they the same?
>
> Yes, the same machine.
> "remco.homeip.net" is the name from the internet.
> "jupiter" is the hostname in my local domain.

So if you can send a mail to test-admin at remco.homeip.net as some
user, but the mailman scripts cannot, I have no idea what the problem
might be.  It must be some very strange error in sendmail depending
on some sender context, and reporting the error wrongly, or else
some subtle error in the SMTP dialogue.  I'd
probably watch the SMTP session with truss/strace/ktrace or
whatever and see exactly what Mailman is sending, and duplicate
that with a telnet to port 25.

> -Remco
>
> PS I'm on the mailman-users list.

Yes, and so am I.