[Mailman-Users] Help needed - sendmail/mailman problem

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Fri Dec 1 00:56:24 CET 2000

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 02:30:20PM -0800, Dan Mick wrote:
> >
> > > So what could be wrong here?
> >
> > As always, cron could be wrong.  You say nothing about it, so
> > I assume you didn't read this second paragraph of INSTALL:
> >
> > IMPORTANT: Pay special attention to the step below where you have to
> > set up your crontab entries.  If you do not do this, Mailman will not
> > work.
>
> Thanks for your quick response, but I really don't see any relation between
> a sendmail error and a cron-job.

I missed the sendmail error because of line-wrapping, and just saw the
"mail to xxx never gets delivered", and easily 99% of those errors
are "oh, no, I didn't enter the cron job".  Sorry to generalize;
your cron looks right to me.

So let's look at your actual problem without the noise around it:

<test-admin at remco.homeip.net>... User unknown
> Nov 30 22:57:04 jupiter sendmail[11058]: eAULv4S11058:
from=<test-admin at remco.homeip.net>, size=1002, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=IDENT:28 at localhost [127.0.0.1]

> Very strange because I can send a normal mail to <test-admin at remco.homeip.net>
> which is delivered.

Which machine is jupiter?
Which machine is remco.homeip.net?
Are they the same?

Which machine runs the mailman software?
Which machine has the alias on it?
When you "send a normal mail to test-admin...", are you doing it
from the same machine that Mailman is running on?