[Mailman-Users] Re: Archival failure (HyperArch?)

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 31 07:20:20 CEST 2000

On 2000.08.30, in <200008310456.VAA01628 at utopia.west.sun.com>,
	"Dan Mick" <Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM> wrote:

> 'arch' is not normally run to archive mail; it's merely a "rebuild"
> convenience command.  Mails are normally archived internally by
> invoking methods in Archiver.py, specifically (usually) ArchiveMail().
>
> However, diagnosing 'arch' would be a good thing to do.

OK, that's expected now that I think of it.  Still, reword it a little,
and the problem's the same.

> > I know I have a weird installation, but I don't know where to begin
> > debugging this -- not enough sense of HyperArch and pipermail's guts.
> > Any pointers?
>
> My standard recommendation: can you run arch under some sort of
> system-call-trace utility, and watch what files it opens (or tries)
> and what it tries to write?  Solaris: truss  Linux: strace

I could, but as it turns out, that probably won't help.  I missed this
while looking at the files directly, but following the python line by
line suggested that they're not valid mboxes -- and indeed, they were
missing the From_.

Actually, that's probably because I'm not using a real local delivery
mailer.  Unexpected, but understandable.

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago