[Mailman-Users] some suggestions for mailman 2

J C Lawrence claw at nuron.com
Thu Aug 31 02:22:11 CEST 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:57:17 +1100
Anand Kumria <wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 11:23:39AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:

> http://slug.org.au/lists/

Good show.

>> This has required no patching to any of the Mailman sources,
>> other than the normal Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py business.
>>
>> (Yes, I know I'm running v1.1, but the same was true when testing
>> out moving to one of the v2 betas (I'm not ready to roll it into
>> production there))

> Strange, I'm using 1.1 as well and in SecurityManager.py, I traced
> my administration authentication problem down to:
...patch deletia...
> Otherwise things were working correctly.

All I can say is that I don't have a matching edit to my file and it
works perfectly (I'm a little tight for time to fully research it).
FWIW I'm using the Debian slink package on a woody system (not ready
to upgrade to the woody v2 mailman yet).  It is also possible that
this is due to the fact that I only moderate under Mozilla.  I
haven't used other browsers.

>> This is what the umbrella options are for.

> Yes but it is currently an all or nothing affair (afaict). Either
> all your list members are people or they are all sublists and
> never the two shall mix.

<checking quickly as I've never used the Umbrella feature directly)

True, it does look that way.

> I've unfortunately inhereted a list with mixed subscribers. But
> even if I hadn't I can see great uses with having `sublist' be a
> per subscriber option - for large lists you could have domain
> based feeders, etc.

BTW:  You might want to take a look at my archiving setup for your
lists.  See:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/

with the (currently undocumented and slightly out of date) sources
available under:

  ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/pub/Kanga.Nu/WebArchives/

Its a combo of MHonArc to do the actual archiving, some bash scripts
to handle the directory business, and then various PHP and
PHPLib-based bits to support the final rendering of the pages to the
user/browser.  The main thing it adds is format and look'n'feel
control, and MIME support to the archives (all compliments of
MHonArc), the ability to reply to archived messages right from the
web (compliments PHP), and the ability to entirely redefine the
presentation/look'n'feel of the archives without having to regen
them (compliments of PHPLib's templating supports).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                Work: claw at nuron.com
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu