[Mailman-Users] Restricted-posting lists

Harold Paulson haroldp at sierraweb.com
Tue Aug 29 02:31:15 CEST 2000

Wade,

the quick answer is, "there is no easy way".  You can restrict who
can post to the list, just check out the "Privacy" section of the
admin pages.  That is pretty easy to do.  However, the emails that
users receive will still tell users how to post to the list, and
generally give them every indication that it is an interactive-type
discussion list.

Dan Mick wrote a great little hack that allows you to replace all of
the files in the global templates/ dir with per-list templates,
allowing you to customize ALL of the email messages.  You can get the
patch on SourceForge.  I really hope this patch makes it into the
release version...

Also you will want to hack up the HTML on the User pages so it looks
like a one way list as well

It's doable, but the upshot is that it is a lot of work to use
Mailman for broadcast-style mailing lists.

Good Luck.

	- H

>What's the easiest way to set up a mailman list for one-way, restricted
>posting only (for example, an announcements list).  The "restrict posting
>to list members" option seems to allow either anyone in the world or
>anyone on the list, depending on how it's toggled, to post, and the
>welcome message says "To post to this list, etc....".
>
>I need to set up a list so that only 2-3 people can post to it, but anyone
>can subscribe to read it.  I'm running 2.0b5.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Wade

Harold Paulson                  Sierra Web Design
haroldp at sierraweb.com           http://www.sierraweb.com
VOICE: 775.833.9500             FAX:   810.314.1517