[Mailman-Users] sendmail error.

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Mon Aug 14 00:37:18 CEST 2000

> The DefaultUser line is commented out of sendmail.cf.
>
> I assume this means it's using mail:mail (uid 8, gid 8).

Not necessarily.  There's a whole bunch of stuff that sendmail goes
through to determine which uid/gid to run things under.  If you have
the sendmail "bat" book, it's in section 34.8.15 and covers a few
pages.

But usually, it defaults to this:

   "If an entire u or g option is missing, the default value becomes
   1 (usually 'daemon')."

Quickest and easiest test to see what uid sendmail uses for its g and
u options is to add an alias like this:

   testuid: /tmp/testuid

Run '/usr/lib/sendmail -bi', then send mail to testuid.  It will create
/tmp/testuid with permissions for the user that sendmail is running
as.

You probably need to uncomment your DefaultUser, then restart sendmail.

Chris