[Mailman-Users] Everything's a bug?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Aug 12 04:37:57 CEST 2000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> error is written to by the web server.  On my machine, that's
> userid "nobody" with group "nobody".  So error should be owned by userid
> "nobody" with groupid "mailman".  That way the web server can write to it,
> and so can mailman.  Here is an ls -la in my logs directory:

Now THERE's a good lead.  I didn't know that the webserver did the writing
to some of the logs.   So what I've done is make:
drwxrwsr-x  2 www-data mailman  1024 Aug 11 19:29 /usr/local/mailman/logs

That way, mailman can write there (as the owning gid) and the webserver
can write there as owner uid.

This changes the error somewhat, but I'm still stuck with this:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 112, in run_main
    main()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 65, in main
    lst = MailList.MailList(list_name)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 62, in __init__
    self.Load()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 804, in Load
    self.Lock()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1373, in Lock
    self.__lock.lock()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 186, in lock
    os.link(self.__lockfile, self.__tmpfname)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

And now all that stuff is in /usr/local/mailman/logs/error because the web
server can get at it.

Running through this very quickly, I see that none of the above files have
any execute bits set... is that normal?  I mean, they look like scripts
that need executing to me, but are they just used as data files for some
other program that slurps them up and runs their contents separately?  It
appears that other permissions were set correctly, so why not these?  And
the bin/check_perms comes out dandy.

Again... help, please.
J.
--