[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Aug 3 17:20:39 CEST 2000

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:18:02 +1000
Chuck Dale <bug at aphid.net> wrote:

> Wrote Gary Wilson on Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 06:20:12PM -0400:
>> I'll add my vote for making passwords optional. Just like all the
>> other fine options in Mailman, some lists need and want the
>> passwords, others don't.  I'm for freedom of choice.

> Thank you Gary I will agree with that and leave it there.

> Too tempting to keep arguing =)

Yes, well, umm, you do realise that Mailman also needs to be able to
enforce password changing, auditing, and dictionary crack
requirements don't you?  Say something like:

  At least 8 characters
  Must contain at least 2 punctuation symbols (non-letter, non-digit)
  Must be contain at least two letters of different case
  Must not differ from an english word by only the punctuation symbols
  Enforced bimonthly password changes with a 6 month history check
  Few other similar requirements.

Yeah, that should keep a few people happy, especially if we make it
the default.

Or we could just go the simple route and implement a PKI structure.
Yup.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu