[Mailman-Users] My Poor Users Have No Hands

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Aug 3 17:06:06 CEST 2000

At 11:09 PM -0700 8/2/00, Dan Mick wrote:

>You're applying ridiculous standards to stand up for The Poor User because
>you think I care not a whit for them,

Baloney. I just happen to work with them all the time, and have for
years, Dan. you, on the other hand, are acting like the typical
Elitist ListAdmin, of which I know many. "you do it my way, or go
away". Very easy on the list admin, but not good for the end user.

>I'm sorry, Chuq, you're just wrong.

No, I'm not. But you aren't willing to listen, so I won't waste
either of our time any more.

>OK, I'll bite: what sort of lists do you run where you need the
>users more than they need you,

I run, among other things, the e-marketing lists for Apple, where my
daily subscription list is larger than the combined subscription
lists of 95% of the lists run by people on this mailing list
combined, and where I not only have to work with naive users, I have
to work with a high percentage of naive users who don't speak
english. And "you're not smart enough to be on my mailing list" isn't
an option.

(no, those lists aren't on mailman. They're 100% custom coded
systems. Mailman couldn't handle them, and isn't flexible enough to
manage them. Yet. But that system handles about 25,000 admin changes
a day, and is one of our mail systems I manage these days)

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"