[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Thu Aug 3 00:10:50 CEST 2000

> I'd love to not have to receive password notifications or have to do
> this to unsubscribe:
>
>     1. Go to list page, ask for password to be emailed to me.
>     2. Receive email, go back to page, enter email and be unsubscribed.
>
> This is obviously not a big issue, but it is a big niggle.

While I agree that passwords are a pain, coping with them just seems
trivial to me.  First, sub/unsub happen *very* infrequently, so a
little pain just isn't that big a deal

Second, "a mailbox to save my list subscription info" struck me as a
good idea about 15 years ago, and it takes up almost no space, and it
includes every Mailman list's password right in it, along with
instructions on how to use it without the Web browser, for free just
by saving the welcome message.

I still agree that passwords should be optional, at least per-list
(per-subscriber could get to be a pain) but they're just not
that hard to deal with.