[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Aug 1 17:23:26 CEST 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:12:04 +1000
Chuck Dale <bug at aphid.net> wrote:

> I vote to have the password facilities in Mailman toned down. I
> would like them removed but at least to make this optional.

Configurable is Okay -- but they're too damned useful to remove.

> And definitely to make the "Send Password Reminders Every
> Month" option default to OFF.

Choice.  I prefer them on for the reasoning below.

> I say this after another month of receiving more than 10 separate
> password reminders. And mailman lists only account for about 1/3
> of the lists I am on!

Password reminders are the most telling method to handle bounces
from forwarded addresses without going for VERP.  Handle the
uncaught bounces from your password reminders every N months of so
and you can maintain a pretty clean list without paying VERP's
expense.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu