[Mailman-Users] Re: A Vote Against Passwords

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 1 16:48:54 CEST 2000

On 2000.08.01, in <3986D841.69C5D694 at research.bell-labs.com>,
	"Tom Limoncelli" <tal at research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> Again, I think the monthly reminder is a great idea.  In fact, it helps
> me clean up all my subscriptions.  It may be better if sites didn't do

It might be a great idea, but I don't like it.  (I'm not sniping; I
think these statements can co-exist.)  A number of users have written
to complain about it, too, and I would have if I didn't run a mailman
server, and know why it's happening: it's not possible to decide
whether you, an an individual, want them.  To the average subscriber's
point of view, they're boolean and out of one's personal control.

I think the *periodic* reminder is a great feature, but I think we need
better control over whether it's mailed, and I think all the instances
where Mailman refers to the "monthly reminder" need to be patched up.
It's not inherently monthly.

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago