[Mailman-Users] approval of post questions

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Fri Apr 28 21:51:16 CEST 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:46:01 -0400
Scott R Every <scott at emji.net> wrote:

> Well, I'm using sendmail 8.9.3.  I have many lists running through
> it with mj 1.94.4 with no problems other than its slow.  The
> problem I am having here is that the approval page times out and
> the mail is never being sent.  is the cgi script sending the
> actual mail or just approving so another program can send it?

As of the 1.0 series the CGI actually posts the message and waits
until the MTA has accepted all the broadcast.  This, given the fact
that you are using sendmail and "it is slow", is the base of the
problem and the basic item beneath all my other questions.

I understand the behaviour is a different (more or less
asynchronous) as of the 2.0 series, but I haven't checked.

> its just seems weird that the cgi would send the mail itself.

Agreed.

> i am going to get postfix running this weekend to see if it helps.
> let me know if you have other suggestions.

<nod>

> --On Friday, April 28, 2000 12:41 PM -0700 J C Lawrence
> <claw at cp.net> wrote:

>> Is your MTA running as a daemon or thru inetd?  (should be
>> runnign thru inetd for minimal startup time)

There's a missing NOT there.  It should read:

  Is your MTA running as a daemon or thru inetd?  (should NOT be
  running thru inetd for minimal startup time)

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...