[Mailman-Users] approval of post questions

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Fri Apr 28 21:41:02 CEST 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:16:55 -0400
Scott R Every <scott at emji.net> wrote:

> the web approval page keeps timing out.  is anyone running large
> moderated lists wth 2.0b2?  should i switch to 1.1?

What MTA are you using?  Quite simply, I would not recommend
anything but QMail or Postfix.

In ~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py or ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py set
both MAX_SPAWNS and SMTP_MAX_RCPTS high, the latter as high as yuor
MTA will take.

Is your MTA running as a daemon or thru inetd?  (should be runnign
thru inetd for minimal startup time)

Is your MTA configured to do host lookups or other address
verification (other than being sytacically correct) on all
connections/addresses?  If so, configure it NOT do lookups on
localhost and all local IPs, and to cease checking addresses for
other than syntactic correctness.

If you telnet to localhost on the SMTP port, how long does it take
before the MTA's welcome message appears?  If more than a fraction
of a second, check for other DNS settings, and anything like TCP
Wrappers or other security filters.

If your MTA is logging thru syslogd, make sure that the entries in
/etc/syslog.conf for the MTA are set to not sync on each write (a
'-' before the path).

Check any MTA settings related to system load, # of messages
receieved in a single connection, # of recipients per message etc,
and set appropriately.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...