[Mailman-Users] MTAs for huge lists on mailman2

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 17:42:05 CEST 2000

Which MTAs are people using with mailman for large lists (> 5000
subscribers)?
I'm particularly interested in mailman 2.0b2 (or later :-) ), since
that puts all recipients into a single SMTP transaction - the MTA sees
one message with 5000+ recipients.

Different MTAs have different trade-offs.
Exim (and smail) routes all recipients before starting delivery - so
this configuration could have a long startup delay before it starts
delivering, but I don't currently have a feel for how significant this
is especially where there is nearby cached DNS and a decent list
throughput.
Qmail effectively makes a separate envelope for each user, so
deliveries will start very fast.

I don't know what postfix and sendmail do...

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]