[Mailman-Users] Why is it rejecting this email?

Marc Merlin marc_news at valinux.com
Wed Apr 19 00:47:23 CEST 2000

On mar, avr 18, 2000 at 05:10:10 -0400, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> There is a guy on one of my mailing lists, and everytime he posts it
> rejects it as if he were not on the list.  And it sends a bounce, but
> instead of sending it to his email address, it sends it to a somewhat
> corrupt version of his full name.  Then I get a bounce saying that
> "charlesa.lieberman at xcski.com" isn't a valid email address, which it
> isn't.  I've checked, and he doesn't have a "Sender" line.  His "From:"
> looks perfectly legitimate:
>
> :From: Charles A.Lieberman <yvrorezn at voicenet.com>
>
> Is mailman choking on the period in his full name or something?

I believe so.

I had this problem with someone else who had a '.' in the gecos field a long
time ago (mm 1.0rc2). The fix was to remove the dot :-)
(in my case mailman complained that he wasn't a member of the list)

The bug may still be around

Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information