[Mailman-Users] Newbie question...

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Apr 12 16:45:13 CEST 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:44:40 -0500 (CDT)
mjn  <mjn at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> The largest list I've tried under Mailman had 140,000+ members.
>> It worked.  As for number of lists, that shouldn't be a problem
>> in the slightest.

> That is terrific.  I think out largest list is ~2500 members so it
> looks like it can handle the load with ease

It took me a while to get the MTA side tweaked well enough that I
wasn't having time-out problems, but yes, it can be done.

> The other thing that was the types of lists we wanted.  One was an
> open discussion list with the possibility for multiple moderators;
> which, from what I have read, seems more than possible.  The other
> was a silently(ie edit a text file) subscribed exploder list where
> memebers receive email and cannot post to the list and any mail
> sent to the list that is not done by a moderator is sent to the
> moderators; it'd also be nice if the 'who' access was un available
> to anyone except moderators.  Is this type of thing possible?

Yes, with the caveat that unlike Majordomo, Mailman handles all of
its moderation thru the web interface and has (essentially) no email
command interface for moderation.

> What happens to the user password portion of mailman in a case
> like this?

Still the same.

> Also, is there a central address, mailman at hostname for example,
> that people can send requests too or is everything done with
> listname-request addresses?

You can get a general help file from the mailman at FQDN address, but
all list actions derive from -request addressing.

> We planning on using Novell's Groupwise MTA as our hub so we will
> be creating an object in NDS, not quite really, for each list so
> that mail sent to the address will get forwarded out to the linux
> box, and if the number of those addresses were cut in half, it
> would be very nice...

Sorry.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu