[Mailman-Users] basic domain munging question

Christopher Kolar ckolar at admin.aurora.edu
Mon Apr 10 17:16:31 CEST 2000

Hi everyone.  Every time that I think that I have this figured out
experimentally it seems like I come up with an exception, so I just want to
get this clear.

At our institution Joe Schmoe would have the address
	 jschmoe at mail.aurora.edu
  but he could also advertise the alias
	jschmoe at aurora.edu
Due to inconsistencies in mail client configuration and the like, there is
no way of knowing which of the addresses will appear in mail coming from Joe.

Which of the addresses should I use in mailman's subscriber list to give me
the most robust handling of this situation?  I have been dropping in the
entire address @mail.aurora.edu, but then I get admin holds when it comes
simply from @aurora.edu.  If I use @aurora.edu will it figure out that
@mail.aurora.edu is also good (the user name will always be the same).

If asked, I would swear that I have tried it both ways and that neither
have worked, but it may just be that I am imagining it and have actually
tried the same thing twice.  In any case, I would appreciate having a
definitive answer and promise to incorporate it into the docs so that I
will never forget.

Thanks in advance,

--chris
--