[Mailman-Users] installation issues

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Fri Apr 7 02:03:04 CEST 2000

> I cannot seem to find in any of the documentatin, a description of how
> to create a new list.  I found the bin/newlist program, but that doesn't
> seem to modify anything for the mailserver so that mail actually gets
> delivered to that list.  Can someone point me at some docs?

I don't understand how this is confusing.

----
# bin/newlist foobar
Enter the email of the person running the list: dmick
Initial foobar password: password

Entry for aliases file:

## foobar mailing list
## created: 06-Apr-2000 dmick
foobar:                  "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post foobar"
foobar-admin:            "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner foobar"
foobar-request:          "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd foobar"
owner-foobar:            foobar-admin
foobar-owner:            foobar-admin

Hit enter to continue with foobar owner notification...
----

Doesn't that make it painfully obvious that you are to set up those
aliases?

How about this, from INSTALL?  What is ambiguous or hard to understand
about this?

---
6. Getting started

    - Create a list named `test'.  To do so, run the program
      $prefix/bin/newlist.  You will be prompted for the name of the
      list, as well as the email address of the person running the
      list.  Put your own email address as the list administrator's
      address.

    - Running newlist will generate a list of aliases that must be
      added to the system.  If you are running Sendmail, you may add
      the lines output directly to the file /etc/aliases.  You may
      need to run the command 'newaliases' (all as root).  Now the
      mailing address for your list as well as its administrative
      addresses will be set up.  If you are not running Sendmail,
      consult your MTA's documentation for information on adding
      aliases.

----