[Mailman-Users] more header munging

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Apr 4 21:22:45 CEST 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:32:46 -0700
Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu> wrote:

> Hey there!  I've got a number of lists, and I'm sure that my setup
> is pretty common.  We've got, for this example, two lists
> list-announce, and list-discuss.  The announcements is a low
> traffic list for sending announcements, while the discuss list is
> designed to be a place to hold all discussions.  The announce list
> is moderated, and what I'd like to happen is to have the reply-to:
> header on the announce list set to the discuss list.  Can mailman
> do this?

Mailman is not yet able to do this, tho it is an oft requested
feature (and should be added soon).  However, you can do it yourself
with minimal effort via procmail.

The following is untested and written off the top of my head.  Paths
are the defaults for Debian installations.

  1) change your alias file from:

       listname: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post listname"

     to:

       listname:      "|/usr/bin/procmail /var/lib/mailman/data/.procmailrc"

  2) Edit /var/lib/mailman/data/.procmailrc to read:

--<cut>--
#
# Add Reply-To header
#
:0 Whf
| formail -i "Reply-To: listname-discuss at domain"

#
# Post message
#
:0 w
| /var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post listname
--<cut>--

  3) Done.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu