[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Tue Apr 4 19:06:39 CEST 2000

Quoting Herman Knief (hknief at auctionwatch.com):
>> Just a question,  I am running mailman on a redhat 6.1 box with sendmail.
>> The distribution list which we post to has about 50,000 people on it and is
>> getting killed with our weekly mailings. I have heard that FREEBSD with
>> postfix is more efficient any suggestions?

> One problem that you may be running into is file descriptors.  If you're
> running a stock RedHat kernel, you run out of fd's at some ridiculously low
> number (I think 1024).  There are some published docs on increasing the

I think it's actually 4096 on 2.2 kernels.  However, I don't think this is a
problem with sendmail.  Sendmail essentially only opens one socket at a time
for each entry in the mailq.  Postfix makes simultaneous connections, which
may mean that you'll need to increase the maximum number of files with postfix
even if you don't for sendmail.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
God does not play dice with the Universe.    -- Albert Einstein.