[Mailman-Users] help with mailman?

Dan Mick dan.mick at West.Sun.COM
Sat Apr 1 00:20:14 CEST 2000

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Hi there!  I was wondering if somebody could help me out.  I've got it
> installed, and it says that everything is happy, but when it tries to
> subscribe me, this is the error that I get in $mailman/logs/smtp-failures:
>
> Mar 27 10:58:18 2000 TrySMTPDelivery: To gleblanc at cu-portland.edu:
> Mar 27 10:58:18 2000 TrySMTPDelivery:    socket.error  / (110, 'Connection
> timed out')  (deferred)
> Mar 27 10:58:18 2000 TrySMTPDelivery:  Maybe your MTA daemon needs
> restarting?
>
> Sendmail doesn't say that anything is wrong, and I can send mail from
> ordinary users.  No, my MTA daemon doesn't need restarting, I tried that
> already.  I've run out of things to look at.  Thanks,

You could try uncommenting the stuff in Utils.py in TrySMTPDelivery for more
info.

You might also try

python -i bin/withlist <listname>

and then

sys.path.insert("/home/mailman/Mailman")  (Barry, why doesn't bin/withlist do this?)

mm_cfg.SMTPHOST		 (to make sure you have the host you think configured)
import smtplib
s=smtplib.SMTP(mm_cfg.SMTPHOST)	(to do the same thing TrySMTPDelivery does)