[Mailman-Users] Creating New List via Web Interface

J C Lawrence claw at varesearch.com
Thu Sep 23 00:49:51 CEST 1999

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:29:04 -0400
Ron Jarrell <jarrell at vt.edu> wrote:

> At 12:15 PM 9/22/99 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> The differences from a "real" list would be that no mail aliases
>> would be created and config.db would contain a flag indicating
>> that this is a proposed list rather than an instantiated list.
>> The benefit of this approach is that very little would have to
>> change in the rest of MailMan.  All the normal admin and
>> configuration interfaces would work just as per normal without a
>> single line of source having to be touched, modulo the following
>> exceptions:
>>
>> listinfo and admin would have to be touched to either not list
>> proposed lists, or to list them seperately from the real lists.

> Why a new flag?  Just create it as a hidden list.

That would work as well, except that users can then see that it is
hidden and unhide it.  Not Good.  Using the method I propose (flag
addition), the user sets his list up exactly the way he wants it and
the admin then merely installs the aliases and removes the flag.

J C Lawrence      Life: http://www.kanga.nu/   Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                Work (Linux/IA64): claw at varesearch.com
 ... Beware of cromagnons wearing chewing gum and palm pilots ...