[Mailman-Users] install/setup conundrum

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.mcmaster.ca
Mon Sep 20 17:22:43 CEST 1999

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 berto at gsbrgo.uchicago.edu wrote:

> Folks:
>
> After thinking paranoid thoughts, I decided to reinstall Mailman following
> the advice not to do the configure and make install steps as root.

I also did the installation initially as root and had everything running
fine.  I later decided I didn't want anything under /home/mailman owned by
root so I did:

cd /home/mailman
find . -user root | xargs chown someuser

where someuser is some non-privileged user that is not root or mailman and
is not in group mailman.

The only files that *may* have to remain root-owned are the sendmail
aliases.dir and aliases.pag files, but this depends on your sendmail
installation and it only applies if you keep the mailman aliases file in
the mailman home directory.

I have followed this same procedure for two mailman installations without
any problems, so you should be able to do the same if you restore your
initial root installation.

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \