[Mailman-Users] ex-subscribers receiving password reminders!

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Sep 2 17:45:38 CEST 1999

    JSF> It's the beginning of the month.  Password reminders have
    JSF> gone out.  Twice today I received messages from irate
    JSF> customers who say they unsubscribed from the list within the
    JSF> last 4 weeks and still received password reminder messages...

    JSF> I'm trying to determine whether there is some wierd aliasing
    JSF> at work (on their ends) but, assuming there is not, what
    JSF> might account for this.

    JSF> I checked and neither of these people are subscribed to any
    JSF> of our lists.

This scenario is possible, although I've not seen it so I don't know
how it happened.  There are a couple of data structures where user
information is kept, and in fact their passwords are kept in a
separate dictionary from their subscribed address (which might be
mixed-case).  It's possible that when they unsub'd their addresses got
zapped from one dictionary but not the other (i.e. not the one with
their passwords, which is the data structure used to craft the
reminder messages).

I can think of an easy workaround, but it might help if you send me
your config.db file so I can test it.  If you want, email it directly
to me (not to this list).

BTW, you /are/ using Mailman 1.0 final right?

-Barry