[Mailman-Users] Several problems, including Membership Management page

Chris Halverson cdh at CompleteIS.com
Thu Sep 2 16:24:28 CEST 1999

Listwrangler <listwrangler at iximd.com> writes:

> Can anybody tell me what the latest version of Mailman is? They are running
> 1.0, as far as I can tell.

The current released version is 1.0. Go to:

http://www.list.org/

There should be a link at the bottom of your admin pages linking
there.

> Problem #2, The Membership Management console crashes my computer.
>
> Whenever I go to the Membership Management console in the admin web pages,
> it loads, then freezes. Nothing works. Total screen freeze. I have to turn
> off the machine and reboot. I've done this several times this evening and
> I'm getting a little testy.

Never seen this. Runs fine on NS 4.61 on Solaris and Windows.

> Side note to #2. It would be useful if there was a 'delete' button in the
> management console so that I could unsubscribe half a dozen people just by
> checking them off, then hitting submit. It is a royal pain in my
> ....neck.... to have to manually unsubscribe fifteen or twenty people one
> by one via the web interface.

You can go to the Members Mangement area and uncheck the "Subscr"
box. That will unsubscribe them via a checkbox, just like you asked.

> Strongly recommended side note to #2. It would be better still if there was
> a place where I could dump a whole batch of subscribe/unsubscribe requests
> and do them all at once, instead of having to cherry pick through the

There is a command line utility that will do this. Your ISP should be
able to add them (see add_members) for you. There is also a box on the
Members Management page that allows you to enter in a list of people.

While I agree that an email interface would be nice, I have to admit
that the amount of time that I spend administering lists is very
small. If the software works (which Mailman does), then I don't need
to spend much time administering it. That's a plus in my book.

Not sure why the Membership pages freeze up on you but that appears to
be the crux of your problems. Most of what you are looking for are on
those pages. I'd say it's a browser problem though as it works for me
(and presumably most other people) with various browsers (although it
looks funky in Lynx due to it's table handling :)

Chris

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, finger for public key   http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/