[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #353 - 10 msgs

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Wed Oct 13 23:14:58 CEST 1999

At 06:23 PM 10/10/99 -0700, Michael Ghens wrote:
>Tried a  news gateway test. This is the error:
>
>Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/home/other/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 119, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/home/other/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 79, in main
>     r,c,first,last,n = conn.group(mlist.linked_newsgroup)
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/nntplib.py", line 208, in group
>     resp = self.shortcmd('GROUP ' + name)
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/nntplib.py", line 158, in shortcmd
>     return self.getresp()
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/nntplib.py", line 134, in getresp
>     raise error_perm, resp
>nntplib.error_perm: 500 "GROUP" not implemented; try "help".
>

>Any sugguestions?

Are you running INN on the news server?  Is the mailman machine defined as
a feed host, rather than a reader host?  If so, it won't work without a patch.  Python's
nntp library can't handle INN right; there have been a couple of patches suggested
in the mailman developers list after I found the trouble; I have a one line patch that
does solve the problem.  However, if you use python in house for other news server
functions, *might*, although I doubt it, cause side effects if your software cares what
the machine banner says, and you ever use it with non inn software...

If you don't know the answer to the questions, telnet to your news server's port
119 from the mailman server.

Does it say "200 somehostname InterNetNews server INN x.x adatestring ready"
or does it say "200 somehostname InterNetNews NNRP server INN x.x adatestring etc"

If it says the former, you have the problem, and need to patch python.