[Mailman-Users] Commercial hosting for Mailman lists?

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 12:07:31 CEST 1999

mstevens at imaginet.co.uk said:
> Interesting. I thought relaying via your ISP's mail host was
> practically compulsory for dialup accounts. I even know of ISPs for
> which I think that's the only way to send email. Does anyone know if
> this is a realistic view of the world, or am I sadly deluded by
> happening to have encountered a few unusual ISPs?

In the UK at least, responsible ISPs running free services or services
with minimal user authentication, force all outgoing SMTP traffic to be
via their servers - either by blocking other SMTP or by redirecting it
to their servers.  This is done to prevent the whack-a-mole spamming
attacks, where a set of direct spam is sent out from a throw away
account, which is then closed down but the sender has by then moved on
through other accounts.

Freeserve, who I used to work for, also has a set of adaptive filters
on their servers looking for spam runs and blocking them before the
results get out.  This can falsely identify mailing list mail, so the
policy was that if you want to run something like a mailing list you
should discuss it with the technical staff and they could arrange for
your list to be passed by the filters.  I would expect other
responsible ISPs to have a similar policy.

The internet is not the friendly place it once was and ISPs need to be
suspicious of their customers or have their own reputation dragged
through the mud.

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]