[Mailman-Users] Commercial hosting for Mailman lists?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.billerica.ma.us
Tue Oct 5 01:29:50 CEST 1999

At 01:39 AM 10/1/1999 , Brian Mulvaney wrote:
>P.S.  If I were to run Mailman in house (literally in my house) I'd have to
>contend with a line speed of 128k to the net.  I'm wondering if this would
>pose a troublesome bottleneck and would love feedback from anyone running
>Mailman across 128k ISDN.

I run a series of mailman lists off of a 28.8 modem.  For the most part
it's not a big deal.  Granted, most of my lists are fairly low activity
but, we do get the occasional tempest in a teapot which means the mail
queue fills up for a couple of hours as everyone busily swaps messages and
then it calms down as they realize they're talking past each other.

If you are running a very active list, I suggest making friends with your
ISP and asking very nicely for permission to relay through their mail
host.  If you get the ok, then the loading on your line should be minimal.

--- eric

Eric S Johansson	esj at inguide.com	  esj at harvee.billerica.ma.us
This message was composed using NaturallySpeaking.