[Mailman-Users] Commercial hosting for Mailman lists?

Jerry Adlersfluegel jerrya at fastrans.net
Fri Oct 1 16:17:43 CEST 1999

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Brian Mulvaney wrote:

> I moderate a reasonably active discussion list with about 1,000 subscribers
> (currently on Post.Office).  I would like to move my list to Mailman,
> however, I'm not really set up to run it in house.  Is anyone aware of any
> ISPs that host Mailman on a commercial basis?
>
> TIA,
>
> Brian
>
> P.S.  If I were to run Mailman in house (literally in my house) I'd have to
> contend with a line speed of 128k to the net.  I'm wondering if this would
> pose a troublesome bottleneck and would love feedback from anyone running
> Mailman across 128k ISDN.

I run a list with 65-85 users on it from my apartment over a 33.6 modem.
In my sendmail.cf, I have set up the smart relay to use my ISP's smtp
server. That way, only one copy goes through the line and it only takes a
few seconds for normal messages.

In my sendmail.cf, there is an entry like this:

# Smart host
DSsmtp.isp.com
# Use this mailer to reach the Smart host
DNesmtp

where smtp.isp.com would be my ISP, which can use esmtp. YMMV.

--
Jerry Adlersfluegel